|Q. Can I send in a GEDCOM instead of a family
It is not feasible for us to accept GEDCOM's due to the problems it creates
for the individual FGS Project managers. To accept GEDCOM's, it would mean
that each manager would have to own some type of special program that will
open a GEDCOM, a special virus program that would scan the GEDCOM for a
virus, then a special program to convert the GEDCOM into a FGS. FGS Project
state managers are just volunteers, who may or may not have the resources
to obtain and/or store such programs, so requiring them to have this would
result in the loss of valuable workers for the project.
If you would like to convert your own GEDCOM's into group sheets, (it
is free and easy to do) you might consider doing
To convert GEDCOM's to group sheets:
Download the free version of Legacy. It is a genealogy program that can
be found online at: http://www.legacyfamilytree.com/ Just click on the
link for Standard version download. Fill out the required registration
form and follow the directions. Legacy is a well known, reputable program
that will allow you to convert your GEDCOM's into text format group sheets
(it is really a full featured genealogy program that actually surpasses
what FTM can do, and its use is widely endorsed by LDS) that you can then
copy & paste into an email. Once you have Legacy set up, it takes
only a coule of minutes to generate a group sheet for each desired family.
The following directions are given by Allison Saxman of the Alabama FGS
1. Open Legacy and import the GEDCOM file.
2. Click on "Name List" to locate the husband of the FGS
that you want to prepare.
3. Once the right family is on the screen, click on "Reports";
then click on the tab that is marked "Family".
4. Under "Index Options" select Style 1; then select the
One Column option.
5. Under "Report Options - Include", uncheck everything
except "Alternate Given and Surnames" and "Birth &
Death Dates On Names"
6. Under the "Sources" tab, click to include source citations
(you may or may not want to do this)
7. There are other tabs you can click on to further detail your
FGS if you wish.
8. When satisfied with the options you have selected, click on "Close"
under Report Options.
9. On the right side of this menu window, click on "text"
(default is set at printer/screen) and then "create".
10. Legacy then asks you for a file name and location to save it on your
hard drive. Give the file name (something like JohnDoeFGS), then the location
(you will need to create a new folder for
your group sheets). Choose "Local Disk (C:), then choose the new
folder you made for the group sheets.
11. Legacy then asks if you want to view your text file in your viewer.
12. Check to make sure that the FGS looks like you want it to look. If
you want to add/delete more information, go back to the "Report Options
- Include" section of Legacy and make
the necessary changes.