Kentucky Family Group Sheet for the John COBB Family
Husband: John COBB
Birthdate: 19 May 1814
- Henry County, KY
Death date: 13 November 1893
- Lower Lake, Lake County, California
father: William Cobb - born Virginia New Information
mother: Hester Barr/Bear/Bare - born probably Kentucky
other marriages: Jane Ann Leypold - 1844, Quincy, Adams County, Ill. Died 1848
Marriage date: 17 August 1848
Marriage place: Quincy, Adams County, Illinois
Wife: Ester DEMMING
aka: Esther DEMING
Birthdate: 7 October 1826
- Belmont County, Ohio
Death date: 19 December 1900
- Lower Lake, Lake County, California
father: Rufus Curtis Damon (Demming/Deming)
mother: Mary Farra (Farrah)
Child No. 1: John Rufus Cobb
Birthdate: 22 September 1849, Quincy, Adams County, Illinois
Spouse's name: Laura F. Davis
Marriage date: 18 January 1880, Lower Lake, Lake County, California
other marriages: Mary Ellen Crabtree, 3 May 1889, Long Ridge, Trinity County, California
Death date: after 1900
Child No. 2: George Oliver Cobb
Birthdate: April 1851, Green River, Utah (now Fort Bridger, Wyoming)
Spouse's name: Tennessee Josephine Scribner
Marriage date: 05 October 1873, Paskenta, Tehama County, California
Death date: 26 August 1885, Newville, Colusa County, California
Child No. 3: Joseph Deming Cobb
Birthdate: 23 November 1853 probably Yamhill County, Oregon
Spouse's name: Sarah Elizabeth Kiphart
Marriage date: 1873
Death date: 17 December 1931, Cobbs, Van Duzen River, Humboldt County, California
Child No. 4: Mary H. O. Cobb
Birthdate: Bef. 22 June 1854, Cobb Ranch, Cobb Valley, Lake County, California
Spouse's name: George William Hinton
Marriage date: 19 November 1868, Cobb Ranch, Cobb Valley, Lake County, California
other marriages: Washington Irving Henderson, 31 August 1875, Lower Lake, Lake County, California
Death date: 20 October 1916, Monterey County, California
Child No. 5: William Thomas Cobb
Birthdate: 20 May 1856, Cobb Ranch, Cobb Valley, Lake County, California
Spouse's name: none
Death date: 10 November 1884, Lower Lake, Lake County, California
Child No. 6: Hester Cobb
Birthdate: 08 July 1858, Cobb Ranch, Cobb Valley, Lake County, California
Spouse's name: Samuel Harris
Marriage date: 05 September 1877, Little High Valley, Lake County, California
Death date: 07 November 1885, Lower Lake, Lake County, California
* History of Lake County, Valley Publishers, 1759, Fulton Street, Fresno, CA 93721, 1974. Reprinted from History of Napa and Lake Counties, CA, Slocum, Bowen and Company, San Francisco, 1881. Historian of this book was Lyman L. Palmer. Biographical Sketch, p. 227.
"COBB, JOHN. Was born in Henry County, Kentucky, May 19, 1814. His father was a farmer. When John was but a child, his father moved to Indiana where they remained for six years, when they returned to Kentucky. When John was sixteen years of age, they returned to Indiana and his father resided in Jefferson County for five years, and then moved to Arkansas, where he died."
* I am submitting this additional information hoping someone can recognize these additional names and places to help me in my research. After years of researching several of my family members who lived in KY from about 1800, I now have bits more information. This is a synopsis of my COBB -BEAR/BARR family. I need help identifying an area along the Henry County - Shelby County border that was farmed (I don't know whether he 'owned' the land) by Peter Kinder and his family who moved into the new state of Kentucky in the early 1790s settling in Shelby County, east of Louisville. There may be a cemetery near this land where some of my relatives would be buried.
* In 1795, Kinder purchased land on "Bullskin creek, a branch of Brashears creek and paid £100 English pounds for the acreage. For the next 31 years they lived on Bullskin creek; reared their children; and saw their grandchildren come along as the years passed by.” (Notes: This property is located along the Shelby County / Henry County line and at the local price for land, $2 per acre, he would have purchased acreage covering the northern part of Shelby County and some of connecting Henry County.)
* John Bear/Barr and his first wife, Esther (or Easter or Hester) Newcome (or Newcomer) are believed to have migrated from PA to (or through) Virginia into Kentucky before 1795. They had four children, possibly born in VA or KY: Jacob whose date of birth may have been about 1791, Christian born 29 July 1795, Hester born about 1797, and Michael who was born about 1801.
* John Bear's wife, Esther/Hester, died during/about 1802 in probably Owen or Shelby County, KY. Esther Bear died about 1802, based on the birth of her fourth child in about 1801.
* John Bear (Bar) remarried in March 1803, (2) Mary "Polly" Kinder in Shelby County, KY. Kentucky Marriage Records Page 712: Barr, John married Knider (sic -Kinder), Mary; 7 March 1803.
* Peter Kinder's daughter, Mary Kinder m. John Barr/ Bear/Bär 1803 as his second wife. (- IF this is OUR Mary Kinder, she was called both Mary and 'Polly'). The Barr amd Kinder families lived along Bullskin Creek just inside the Shelby/Henry County borders with Bullskin Creek Road connecting Hwy 322 (from Smithfield going southward from Henry County and Hwy 55 (from Shelby County going north into Henry County). Since Henry County of today was at that time a part of Shelby County until 1798 they may have considered themselves to be living in either county.
* After the 1810 Census, two Cobb men, William and Thomas, probably floated down the Ohio River from Virginia and were living on the Kinder/Barr farm along Bullskin Creek. One of these Cobb men, probably William (from 1830 census records in IND - he has a son) married Hester Bear/Barr, a daughter of John Barr (no record found in Henry or Shelby Counties). Their son, John Cobb was born 19 May 1814 in Henry County KY (probably on the Kinder/Barr farm).
* Land records show that John (Bear) was a resident of Henry Co., KY, in February 1812 when he purchased land in Indiana Territory from the United States Land Office at Jeffersonville, IN.
* William Cobb and his wife, Hester (Barr/Bear) moved to IND to live on the Bear family farm with their infant son, John Cobb in 1812.
* John Bear died before 17 July 1823 when an inventory of his estate was initiated in Jefferson County. IND.
I do have lots more research material to help, and I am trying to solve answers to this quzzle. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.
Copyright © Margie Hinton. All rights reserved.
Submitted by: Margie Hinton
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org