Kentucky Family Group Sheet for the Tolbert BROWN Family
Husband: Tolbert BROWN
Place of death:
Marriage date: Aug 3, 1839
Marriage place: Meade Co., KY
Wife: Mary Ellen KENDALL
Birthdate:April 4, 1821
Birthplace: Nelson Co., KY
Death date: Feb 13, 1899
Place of death: Louisville, Jefferson Co., KY
Burial: Irvington, Breckinridge Co., KY
Father: James KENDALL
Mother: Mary Brown WATERS
Child No. 1: Richard A. BROWN
Birthdate: May 24, 1840
Death date: Nov 17, 1867
Place of death: KY
Child No. 2: Elisha BROWN
Birthdate: Feb 3, 1842
Death date: Nov 12, 1899
Place of death: KY
Burial: Old Rosetta Cem., Breckinridge Co., KY
Marriage date: Sep 17, 1884
Marriage place: Breckinridge Co., KY
Spouse's name: Melissa Anderson GILPIN
Child No. 3: Tolbert Ann BROWN
Birthdate: May 7, 1844
Birthplace: Meade Co., KY
Death date: Dec 6, 1919
Place of death: Pulaski Co., Little Rock, Arkansas
Burial: Oakland Cem., Little Rock, Arkansas
Marriage date: Oct 2, 1873
Marriage place: Breckinridge Co., KY
Spouse's name: Henry Sanford McGALIN
1. "Early Meade County Marriages 1824-1843 Book A" compiled by Rita Adkinson Thompson, 1973- Tolbert Brown married August 3, 1839 Mary Ellen Kendall (father James) married by S. L. Helm.
2. 1850 Breckinridge Co., KY Federal Census shows Tolbert Brown is dead as his widow has remarried to William Albright... William Albright age 52, Mary E. Albright age 29, John Q. Albright age 23, Robert Albright age 12, James Albright age 9, Jasper Albright age 1, Richard Brown age 10, Elisha Brown age 8, Tolbert Ann Brown age 6.
3. 1860 District 1, Breckinridge Co., KY Federal Census shows Mary Albright as head of house (husband William Albright has died) age 38, Richard Brown age 20, ELisha Brown age 18, Tolbert Ann Brown age 16, Jasper Albright age 11.
4. Elisha Brown buried Old Rosetta Cemetery as shown by KYGENWEB Breckinridge Co., KY cemetery page.
5. Wife Melissa Anderson Gilpin Brown buried Old Rosetta Cemetery as shown by KYGENWEB Breckinridge Co., KY cemtery page.
6. Marriage between Elisha Brown and Melissa Anderson Gilpin found in Marriage Book #16 of Breckinridge Co., KY "Elisha Brown/age 42/first marriage/occupation carpenter/born Meade Co., KY/parents born Nelson Co., KY/Melissa Anderson Gilpin/age 25/ first marriage/ daughter of Harrison, Casey Co., KY/surety Green Gilpin witnesses John and Green Gilpin/Sep 17, 1884.
7. Tolbert Ann Brown marriage to Henry Sanford McGalin "Breckinridge County, Kentucky Marriage Bond Oct 2, 1875" Henry S. McGalin resides in Breckinridge Co., KY, is 23 years old, its his first marriage, he is a farmer born in Indiana/T. Annie Brown resides in Breckinridge County, KY, is 28 years old, her first marriage, born in Meade Co., KY, father born Nelson County, Ky., mother born Nelson Co., KY. Married at M. E. Albright, the bond is between Henry S. McGalin and Jasper K. Albright.
8. Death of Tolbert Ann Brown McGalin "(they left off the Mrs.) H.S. McGalin/death day 6/death month Dec/Death year 1919/County Pulaski/Volume Number 61/Roll Number 19141923/Certificate Number 1744.
9. Obituary of Tolbert Ann Brown McGalin from "The Arkansas Gazette, Little Rock, published Sunday December 7, 1919 reads BURNS ARE FATAL TO LOCAL WOMAN/Mrs. H. S. McGalin Dies of Injuries Caused By Fall on Stove/ Mrs. H. S. McGalin, aged 75, died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. A. S. Brown, 1117 West Capital Avenue, at 9:30 yesterday morning, from injuries received last Thursday morning when she fell on a gas stove. Her clothes caught on fire and she was severely burned before the flames could be extinquished./Mrs. McGalin was a native of Kentucky and is survived by her husband, H. S. McGalin; three sons, Emmett and Clarence of Louisville, Ky., and William of Fort Wayne Ind., also by two daughters, Mrs. A.S. Brown at whose home she died and Mrs. Estelle Jones , both of Little Rock. Mrs. McGalin was a member of the Presbyterian church. Funeral services will be announced later." also from The Arkansas Gazette of Little Rock, Arkansas published December 8, 1919-Mrs. H. S. McGalin...Funeral services for Mrs. H.S. McGalin , who died Saturday at the home of her daughter, Mrs. A.S. Brown, 1117 West Capital Avenue, from burns received last Thursday will be held at the residence at 3 o'clock this afternoon in charge of the Rev. O. J. Cole. Burial will be in the Oakland Cemetery. Pallbearers will be W. E. Stayton, J. L. Ratnett, George Harrison, B. J. Hughes, C. D. Casey and Hugh Edwards."
9. Oakland Cemetery, Little Rock, Arkansas has double tombstone for Henry Sanford McGalin and wife Tolbert Ann Brown. Upright granite with the following information Henry S. McGalin 1846-1924 and Tolbert A. McGalin 1844-1919, old black and white family photo of tombstone has written on the back "Little Rock Ark., South Main St., Biddle Ark.
10. Henry Sanford McGalin born in New Amsterdam, Harrison Co., Indiana. 1850 Harrison Co., Indiana Federal Census shows Andrew McGillen age 35, Lucinda age 25 and Henry with a 0 . The 1860 Washington, Harrison Co., Indiana Federal Census shows Andrew McGalin age 50, Lucinda age 37, Henry age 10, Mary age 9, George age 7, William age 5, Louis age 3 and Ann age 1. The 1880 Rosetta, Breckinridge Co., KY Federal census has Sanford McGalin (that would be the Henry of the two above census records as his name was Henry Sanford McGalin) was age 33 (the two above census records would indicate his birth year was 1849-1850 and NOT the 1844 shown on tombstone but this 1880 census would indicate 1846), Anna wife age 35, Blanche daughter age 5, Estella daughter age 4, Emmett son age 3 and Hugh son age 4. The 1900 Jefferson Co., KY Federal Census shows the family living on Southside Jefferson Street: Sanford McGalin head born Dec 1846 age 53 born IN father born Ireland (which he was not-his father Andrew McGalin was born in KY), mother born KY occupation Carpernter, wife Anna born May 1844 age 56, born KY, father born Ky mother born KY., daughter Estelle born Sep 1875 born KY, father born IN mother born KY, son Clarence (this is the Hugh in the 1880 census, the family always called him Clarence) born Jan 1880 in KY father born IN mother born KY, son William born Aug 1882 age 17 born KY father born IN, mother born KY. both Clarence and William work as clerks. The 1910 Clark Co., Jeffersonville, IN Federal Census shows H. S. McGalin age 63 married 36 years born IN and wife Anna B. McGalin age 65 married 36 years with 5 children born and 5 children still alive. The 1920 Little Rock, Pulaski Co., Arkansas Federal Census shows Estella Jones age 40 born KY as head of house (this would be Henry Sanford McGalina nd Tolbert Ann Brown's daughter), Henry S. McGalin, widowed age 73 born IN a retired Carpenter and four boarders living in house as well.
11. Obituary of Henry Sanford McGalin in "The Arkansas Gazette" published May 20, 1924-HENRY S. McGALIN/Henry S. McGalin,aged 77, a contractor and a resident of Little Rock for many years, died at the family home on West Capitol Avenue, yesterday morning. He is survived by two daughters, Mrs. A. S. Brown of Little Rock and Mrs. P. S. Fletcher of Los Angeles, Calif., and three sons, Emmett, Clyde (note from Ann , this name is wrong it should read Clarence) and William McGalin, all of Louisville, Ky. The body is held at the HEaley & Roth Chapel.
12. Tombstone for him and wife at Oakland Cemetery (see wifes notes on dates).
13. All five children of Tolbert Ann Brown and Henry Sanford McGalin and spouses are dead; their names are Blanche McGalin who married Oscar R. Perry and Aaron Samuel Brown; Estelle McGalin who married 3 times, P.S. Fletcher, M. Jones and Benjamin Frnaklin Spencer; Robert Emmett McGalin who married Anna Margaret Reichert, Clarence McGalin who married Mary Elizabeth Mitchell and my grandfather William (no middle name) McGalin who married Marie Antoinette Shire.
14. Death date of Mary Ellen Kendall comes from the Kentucky Death
Records 1852-1953. Mortuary Record for the third week ending February 16, 1899; Mary E.
Albright a widowed white female aged 78, died Feb 13 of natural decline. She was born in
Nelson Co., KY and lived at 1924 W. Jefferson, buried Feb 15 in Irvington, KY. The name of
the undertaker is Ratterman. This comes from Louisville, Jefferson Co., KY. Although I
have found no proof yet I believe Mary Ellen Kendall Brown Albright was living with her
son in law and daughter in Louiville. A search for an obituary for her in Louisville could
answer a number of questions. Specifically around Irvington is she buried? No information
can be found about the burial of her first husband Tolbert Brown. Her second husband
William Albright is buried in Dent Cemetery in Breckinridge Co., Ky with no stone of any
of wives around him. For that matter William Albright and Mary Ellen Kendall Brown have
only one child together-Jasper K. Albright, his wife Letitia Jared is buried in the Jared
Cemetery on Cook Ridge Road but no one knows where Jasper is. Tolbert Brown and Mary Ellen
Kendall had three children, we know where two are buried but where is son Richard A. Brown
buried. Any one with any information on any of these questions please let me know.
Copyright © Ann Kendall Horton Mefford. All rights reserved.
Submitted by: Ann Kendall Horton Mefford
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org